Zombies. They’re like marmite, you either love the, or hate them. I, myself, am partial to a zombie every now and then, but only in small doses.
Zombies have been done to death, pun intended. So why are they so successful? Films like Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead and 28 Days Later have all found success in the Zombie franchise, utilising hordes of the undead to strike fear into the hearts of film goers everywhere. And now they’re more popular than ever with the recent release of Naughty Dog’s The Last of Us, which takes steps to keep the old Zombie legend fresh using mutagenic fungi instead of standard airborne viruses.
So why do we love zombies? Well, zombies are scary. Not on their own really, after all, in a one on one fight we have the upper hand against a brainless zombie. But hordes are a different matter. I can’t sit through Shaun of the Dead because of the horde of zombies at the end. It’s the feeling of helplessness that comes with it, knowing you’re going to be overwhelmed and ripped apart and eaten while you’re still screaming. It’s pretty dark.
But zombies also have the great potential for comedy. Often they’re pretty slow, just shambling along like tomorrow will do (because really it will, I mean, what else have zombies got to do?), they’re gormless and completely brainless, so yo can have a lot of fun with them. And if you put some thought in to it, you can reinvent them, keep them as fresh as a mouldering corpse can be.
So have fun with zombies and remember, they’re people too.
Current Projects:Audrey: From Hull With Love – 3230 words (~40%)
The Monkey's Grin – 3168 words (~60%)
Confession – 1091 words (~15%)
War for the North – ~4000 words
- Graduated with @Sheridansmith1 yesterday. Couldn't ask for a better day :D http://t.co/cH6CzbBypd 3 years ago
- RT @drwhogiftsguide: Enter to #win this awesome #davidtennant Tenth Doctor Bobblehead! doctorwhogiftsguide.com/win-david-tenn… #doctorwho #giveaway #drwho h… 3 years ago
- Cross Horizon is awesome, get it for FREE: goo.gl/RHo1xy Join me to receive a special gift: 113978592 #CrossHorizon @CrossHorizon 3 years ago
- Sunday Classics: Tombi wp.me/p2vg2E-1o 3 years ago
- Dragon's Dogma wp.me/p2vg2E-O via @wordpressdotcom 3 years ago
Find me on Facebook
© Jessica Wiles and The Human Writes, 2013Unauthorized use and/or duplication of specifically copyrighted material without express and written permission from this blog’s author is strictly prohibited. You may use excerpts and link to material here, provided that full and clear credit is given to Jessica Wiles and The Human Writes.